Philly Stuffed Peppers
Servings 4 Servings
- 1 pound 85 % ground beef
- 4 medium red or yellow peppers
- 6 oz sliced button mushrooms
- 2 oz chopped onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 slices provelone cheese
- salt and pepper to season
- Cut tops off of the peppers and remove seeds and pith. Place in a microwave safe baking dish, cover with plastic wrap and cook for 4 minutes or until slightly soft. Remove covering and using tongs, pour out any accumulated water from the peppers.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan over medium heat. When hot, add oil and swirl to coat the pan. Stir in the mushrooms to coat in oil and let cook in a single layer for 3 minutes. Add the onions to the mushrooms and cook until they turn opaque and the mushrooms have cooked (2-3 minutes more). Remove the mixture from the pan.
- Let the pan heat up and add the ground beef to the pan, breaking it up while cooking. When cooked through, add the mushroom and onions back to the pan and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly season the peppers with salt and pepper. Place 1 slice of cheese in the bottom of each pepper and evenly divide the ground beef stuffing among them.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Top with the remaining cheese and pop under the broiler to melt and brown.